Enquiry: COULD THE Barons CONTROL THE KING?
The power of the king - simulation
Can barons limit the power of the king? Medieval Case studies
Lesson objectives: By the end of the lesson you should be able to... ...explain why kings lost some of their power during the Middle Ages and Parliament grew in importance ...compare Parliament in Medieval Times with Parliament today in the UK
- Think back to the events of King John. What was the Magna Carta? Why did he end up having to sign the Magna Carta?
- Read pages 69 (after Step One) and use the information to complete Step Two. The following sheet could help you or you could write your own sentences. Parliament challenging king - helpsheet.pdf
- Read page 72 and complete Step Three
- Now you are going to explain to King John what has happened to the way in which England is governed. You could use the following sheet to help you write what you will say or the teacher may put it up on the Powerpoint:Explaining to King John.pdf
- The teacher may act as King John. You need to explain to them what has happened to the way England is governed
- Alternatively, you or your partner could take on the role witht he other explaining
- Medieval Minds textbook pages 69-73
- Attached sheets