The End of Year 9 Assessment is in the style of a Controlled Assessment (CA), it has the following features to allow students to demonstrate their knowledge, understanding and skills development over the course of Year 9:
- A single synoptic essay question that assesses the 3 terms of Year 9 History knowledge.
- 2 Hours of writing time to be completed under teacher supervision. (This should not be completed at home).
- The assessment question and planning sheet should be given out at least the lesson before the beginning of the two hours so student's are able to write a plan and organize their ideas before the CA conditions begin.
- Open book - the assessment is open book (broadly iPads, exercise books, textbooks etc) students have access to the resources used during the course taking away the need for exhaustive revision and allowing them to clarify dates, statistics, events etc this allows for more effective and accurate recall in their writing.
- The CA is an individual piece of work, whilst not carried out under examination conditions, students should not be discussing the answer during the CA conditions and therefore conversation should be to a very minimum.
- It is advisable that students write the CA on paper as this can be taken in at the end of the lesson, further these reflect the conditions that prevail at the end of iGCSE and IB during exams.
- Finally the purpose of the CA is to allow students to demonstrate their learning over the year and we encourage students to show their flare for the subject, we do not necessarily want students to play safe but to express their understanding in interesting and engaging ways. Good Luck!